Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Finally Moving Forward

This month is going to be quite a busy one. I am scheduled for my psychiatric consultation bright and early tomorrow morning at 9:30. Those that know me know that I am the polar opposite of a morning person since I work nights – so this ought to be fun.  I was told it takes about 90 minutes – so that shouldn’t be terrible. I have an appointment with Dr. Bass next Thursday morning to touch base and make sure we are on track with my insurance policies 90 day preparatory period. I also have another meeting with the nutritionist the week after that for another follow up.

Last time I met with the nutritionist, she wanted me to be using protein shakes as meal replacements – which haven’t been working too well. I can’t seem to find a protein I actually like yet. I’ve recently ordered protein shots (http://www.protica.com/Products/Profect.htm) that are set to come this week. I ordered 2 sample packs so I was able to get one of every flavor and give it a shot (25g of protein in each shot). I also plan on going to a whole food type store this week to check out their proteins. I was told a couple of shops locally have sample packs you can purchase – so that’s worth a look. I got Bariatric Advantage brand protein from the surgeon, and the only flavor that was semi tolerable was the banana … it kind of tasted like banana laffy taffy (https://www1.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/list?id=24672).

Another thing I got from the surgeon was a product called PB2 (http://store.bellplantation.com/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-s/3.htm). It’s a powdered peanut butter product that has less calories and fat than even low fat PB. It’s actually pretty good. I was surprised. I can see myself using this. It’s not as sweet as traditional JIF, but it fills the peanut butter craving and is much healthier.

I have been considering starting a YouTube channel for my bariatric process and updates – so we shall see. I’ve watched countless hours of videos from all kinds of people with all kinds of surgeries and have learned so much. An important thing to remember is to not take it as gospel. Joe Blow’s experience may be nothing like Mary Smith’s experience and that’s ok. Every person is different – we just have to remember to be objective with the information we allow to root itself in our heart. We’ve all heard those horror stories of a friend of a friend had that cousin once who had an aunt that was twice removed whose hairdresser died from some form of weight loss surgery. I’m not minimizing anyone else’s experience … I’m merely saying we must consider the source and keep an open mind and heart. This sleeve will only work as good and as hard as we do. We can have the sleeve done and GAIN weight if we are not using the tool to its full capacity, or, on the other hand, we can have the sleeve and lose 200lbs and everything in life will be sunshine and rainbows. It depends on how hard we work and how hard we want it. I’m going to work that tool from surgery, not let it work me. 

1 comment:

  1. Not sure what the criteria is for your protein shakes- but I liked EAS shakes for a long time...

    Losing 200lbs is not going to make your life sunshine and rainbows. It will only make the obsticals a little easier to get over or around or underneith or whatev...

    Glad you're working with a team. I'm a firm believer that SOMETHING will work for everyone- you just have to find what that something is. If this is what will work for you- then you throw yourself into it like the brick wall you are and then suck all your resources dry like a McD's milkshake! :)

    ReplyDelete

Pages