Sunday, October 23, 2011

One Month Surgiversary

Well, Wednesday was my 1 month Surgiversary ... on Wednesday, I had a total of 57lbs lost and 20 inches gone. As of today - you can move that 57 up to 60lbs gone total. I'm a little sick, but feeling great when it comes to my stomach. One little downside is I can't swallow large pills. I have a blood disorder that makes me VERY prone to infection. I currently have an infection in a lymph node in my neck ... something I had surgery for in March, but has returned. Doc put me on some hardcore antibiotics ... but in liquid form. I went to CVS to pick up said liquid .... 9 ... as in NINE HUGE bottles (16oz) of liquid antibiotics. 4 teaspoons 2x a day. The flavor isn't bad ... it isn't good, but it isn't bad. It burns a tad though ... like, my esophagus and tummy. It's also a LOT to take in. I use a medicine syringe so I'm not swallowing in a lot ... but it's 4 medicine syringes worth. Bleh. I'm drinking an EAS protein shake right after and it's coating my throat and I'm definitely not feeling like I just swallowed a lava ball. LOL

Now, back to surgery and whatnot. I can eat about anything. I had some Sushi for dinner last night. For some reason the Nori didn't sit right, so I unrolled it and removed the nori, and it went down well. I can't eat it in a bite or two like normal, I cut it into 1/4's and use a fork ... and chew chew chew. Still ... amazing. I don't eat red meat, so I can't attest to that. Most people say red meat is hard on the sleeve. I've tried some chicken. Depending on how it's cooked is that matters. If it's dry ... not even a chance at being a pleasant experience. If it's very moist and soft, it's not bad as long as I chew chew chew. Seems to be the story of my life. LOL.

Long story even longer ... this gift I gave myself ... this surgery ... this fantastic tool, has not only changed my life - but saved it. I am off all prescription meds (other than my gallons of antibiotics). My sleep apnea is about non existent. My wife said I barely snore, and I don't stop breathing in my sleep. For months, I couldn't walk more than a few minutes. Now, I walk circles around my wife. I can grocery shop, walk the mall, anything I want. I can go anywhere. I still have some back pain - but it's a different kind of pain. It's my body having to adjust to the new weight.

I find that my perception of portion sizes has changed. I am AMAZED at how much people eat. I was at the grocery store the other day and saw this family. Mom and Dad were absolutely Huge ... their children - also morbidly obese. Like ... to the 11th degree. As I walked by with my cart of protein shakes, vegetarian 'meat' and tofu - I sneaked a peek at their cart. It was full to the brim with processed garbage. Pizza rolls, chips, cookies, frozen pizzas, frozen lasagna, pop tarts ... My heart began to hurt. I thought, My God ... I used to be them. I used to be as lost as they are. I used to fill my cart with nothing but SHIT. I used to put SHIT in my body and could never come to grips with why my body and my life turned to SHIT. I sat there, in the middle of the store, tears rolling down my face - thanking God for a 2nd chance at life. My prayer was that they, too, have their eyes opened to health before it's too late.

I have never felt so free, so liberated, so in control. I went and applied to take some college courses ... something I'd NEVER do when I was so fat I couldn't walk the campus. I walked all over that campus yesterday - no pain. Up and down stairs, passing by the elevators. This is truly a new beginning. One I am more thankful for than I could ever really express.

Enjoy some before and afters! I know I am enjoying the afters a hell of a lot more than I ever enjoyed the befores!





5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the loss and your new attitude. I have also looked at others and my heart has gone out to them because I know how miserable it is. They have to get tired of it enough to do something about it just like we did. The future looks much brighter now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing progress for 1 month out you can really see it in your face and stomach. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking fantastic!! Awesome progress!

    I too see those that are living in the morbidly obese body and wish that they could see what I see. I wish I could tell them that they HAVE a choice, there is hope! I don't though because I know if someone had approached me pre-op, I would have felt humiliated. But I still wish I could find a way to let them know that their lives can be so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your weightless you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gastric sleeve procedure is also know as gastric sleeve resection, sleeve gastrectomy, vertical sleeve gastrectromy, tube gastrectomy and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
    GASTRIC SLEEVE MEXICO

    ReplyDelete

Pages